Thursday, March 30, 2006

Do You Know Jesus?

Last night in our Bible class, we talked about dreaming like David dreamed. It was a good discussion and one I think we will take further steps on with dreams for our own church. While discussing dreaming, I thought about how well David knew God and how that impacted his dreams. From there, I went on to think about my relationship with Jesus over the years. I firmly believe I have come to know Jesus in a much deeper, more intimate relationship in the last few years than I have in all the years previous.
As my mind works (which isn't all that well very often), I would say that for several years I knew of Jesus but didn't really KNOW Jesus. I had an intellectual understanding of who He is and what He has done for me but I don't think I was able to internalize that, to understand it emotionally and spiritually. While I have many miles to travel to know Jesus better, today I believe I have a much better perspective of who He is and what He has done for me and only now can I begin to dream what I can do for Him.
I have experienced many years of discussing how we should "do church" or "be a Christian" without truly worshipping and without truly living Christ-exemplified to those around me. I worshipped by singing and by praying and listening to the sermon but didn't allow my emotions to come through in my worship. I worshipped from the outside doing the things that are listed in the Bible but failing to worship from the heart. I worshipped with good intentions (just ask my daughter where good intentions will get you) but didn't truly worship with the emotion of what being a child of God, a sinner saved by true sacrifice experiences.
Much the same, I could tell people why they needed to be a Christian but didn't have compassion for their burdens. Today, I have a deeper understanding of how loving and how patient Jesus is with me. Today, I have a deeper understanding of what His mercy and grace mean because I can look back at things I have done that has hurt Him (and others), yet He has remained so good to me. How can I be anything different to those around me than what Christ is to me? How can I not exhibit mercy and grace? How can I not be in diligent prayer for those that stumble? Whether they have hurt me or themselves or someone else, how can I do anything but point them to Christ because only in Him will they find what they need to overcome their failings. Those who fall and seek redemption through Christ will not forget their falling, so why should I need to remember it? Instead I must be constant in prayer and be constant in helping them be the person Christ wants them to be.
I believe now that I can begin to dream the dreams Jesus wants me to dream because I have started to make a breakthrough in a closer, intimate relationship with Him. I believe now I can truly have hope to reach the lost because I realize how lost I was.
I have a great anticipation of dreaming the dreams that God hopes I will dream.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Wow! Great post. I can relate to your journey. But realizing the distance I have come only makes me more excited about where I can go.