Sunday, February 05, 2012

R & R

Peacemaking includes many facets.  A couple of those are restoration and reconciliation (R&R) and it's something that, without God's grace, most of us would not know.  Without R&R, there's no peace.  

I have only found peace learning to live in contentment with whatever my situation is but without restoration and reconciliation, peace is only partial at best.  I have lived for years without peace in my life because of conflict with God, conflict with people I have loved and conflict within me.  I trust that God has forgiven me and I am finally learning to live at peace with him.  I'm not there yet and that's because I still have trouble forgiving myself and without being able to fully reach reconciliation with myself, it's still difficult to have full peace with God when I'm not at complete peace with myself.  Finally, there are people close to me that I have been restored and reconciled to and live at total peace with them and others that it is still in process and there is no peace yet.  

This is something that Josh Hamilton is dealing with right now.  He's a public example of what I often deal with - battling demons that call me to do things I shouldn't do.  I'm guessing Hamilton's failing jeopardizes his family relationship and certainly jeopardizes his work relationship (very secondary in this situation but more public).  His openness and honest way of addressing the problem has certainly made R&R appear more realistic in all his relationships and I hope it works out that he will be able to again know peace because of the grace of those around him.

I want to know peace.  I want to help others find peace.  It can happen but there has to be restoration and reconciliation to make it so.  That takes admitting fault and seeking forgiveness.  It also requires forgiveness and grace by others with God as the model for what true forgiveness looks like.  I hope I will be forgiven and I hope I will forgive liberally as God has forgiven me.  It doesn't mean there will never be consequences to actions, it doesn't mean that my way (or another person's way) is always the right answer but peace can be found in all situations with people who put R&R above themselves.

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: