Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Marking Time

Today is a hard anniversary for very close friends.  Some of you may know the store of Rick and Beverly Ross and the tragic loss of their daughter, Jenny, a wife to David and mother to Malaya.  I hurt for them and my heart is heavy for them on this day.  

Why does God let these things happen?  It's a question I've asked about personal situations in the past because I believe God can do anything, but he doesn't always do the thing we want him to do.  Why do moms die leaving 3 children with a father who kills himself 4 months later?  Why do children die?  Why does an 11 year old have bone cancer?  Why do families fall apart?  These are questions I often ask wondering what God is doing.

Why did God give his own son to die for me?  It's another question I ask wondering what God was thinking.

I remind myself from time to time that God knows suffering.  He knows extreme, intense pain.  Why is that I'm expecting I won't have to face it or my friends won't have to face it when God made a choice that caused great suffering.  His son didn't simply die.  God allowed it to happen for a bigger purpose.  

Is my suffering going to be for a bigger purpose?  Will my friend's suffering be for a bigger purpose?  I don't know but I do know the pain doesn't go away.  In whole or in part, it will remain.

So the question becomes will we trust God when the world crumbles?  Will we hold onto our faith?  There were days I didn't know if I would or if I could but another question always lingered.  It's a question Rick Ross asked me when I felt my world was going completely dark.  Where else will you go?

So we mark time.  We mark the times of our suffering and the reminder that follow and we mark time until we leave this place of suffering and join the party to be united with God.  I will live out my days with joy for the blessings I experience, with pain for the wounds I've experienced and marking time while crying out, Lord, come quickly!

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: