Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mental Health

In the book Managing Conflict Through Communication by Ruth Abigail and Dudley Cahn, the authors point out that forgiveness is good for mental health and failure to forgive can have long lasting negative effects on mental health.  That's no great surprise to me but a good reminder of how holding on to grudges and anger from hurts would only keep me captive to that person.  When I truly forgive them, let it go and move on, I am no longer captive to them because that event doesn't rule in my heart, my head and my life.  That's not to say I won't remember and it's not to say I want avoid having to deal with someone who has repeatedly or maliciously tried to hurt me but I won't let those past grievances control my heart and my mind and my health.

Forgiveness is powerful medicine.  The world would be a better place if more people took a big dose of it.

Grace and peace.

No comments: