Friday, July 29, 2011

168

Several conversations I have been a part of, along with a sermon and a class, have raised the question of "what is worship?"


I grew up in a time when our churches battled over the style of worship and some wanted to condemn "musical instrument" churches to the damning fire while I was always thinking we were more worried about singing our parts than living what we were singing (and I was very guilty of not living what I was singing/saying/whatever).  "When we all get to heaven (as long as you ain't using a piano to sing this song)..."  Maybe it should have been "When some of us who think we've got it all figured out get to heaven..."


All that to say, the number 168 stood out to me this week.  I have 168 hours in our week.  Let's say I use 56 of them getting 8 hours sleep a night and another 21 eating 3 times a day for an hour each meal (yes, both are a stretch) then I have 91 hours left.  What am I doing with that 91 hours?  Working?  Yes.  Attending events or spending time with my kids?  Yes  Visiting friends, shopping, watching TV?  Yes.


I remember when I used to gripe about someone turning the lights down during the communion service because I didn't like it.  I had the time to gripe but I look back and try to think of anything I did to serve God in the way Jesus exemplified and I come up empty.  I was like the Pharisees, trying to polish the outside of the dish while the inside was filthy.


The last few years have brought some inside cleaning.  There's more to do for sure but I can tell you that lots of gunk and muck have been cleaned off and thrown away.  Turn the lights down?  I don't care as long as I'm using my 141 hours a week to find ways to serve.  Sing new songs or old songs?  I'm much more concerned with how I'm spending my 141 hours a week to find ways to serve those in my life the way Jesus did.  And for my friends who go to church where there's a band or anything else that my fellowship might not agree with, I'll consider the fruit of what you are doing in 141 hours a week long before I'll want to talk to you about the band, the lights, the women or whatever else it is that I have seen my brethren worked up about in the past.


Jesus came to seek and save the lost, not establish the format for church service.  Why would I want to do anything different?


I've got 91 hours coming next week to reach out, to help, to clothe, to feed, to give water, to provide shelter, to teach.  I wonder what I will do with my time?

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Great thoughts!