Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Escape

The way to render a man happy, is to engage him with an object that will make him forget his private troubles. - Pascal


This blog is similar to others I have written but remains something I'm still wrestling with.  I know I'm one of many who is dealing with some pain, some trouble, some obstacle that is mentally, emotionally and spiritually draining.  I, like others, have used different objects to help me forget my pain, my troubles as does the world.  I know the easy targets are alcohol, drugs and sex but there are others, things we get involved in to keep us busy and to take our mind off our pain; reading, movies, cooking, restoration projects, work and, yes, even church activities.  I, like so many, grew up hearing the adage "idol hands are the devil's workshop."  Well, I think busy hands are used by the devil just as much so that our heart and mind are to engaged to focus on God.


My struggle today is hearing God because I am spending so much time filling my days and nights with something to do so my pain is numbed and I don't have to face it.  I've got something going on all the time and even as I struggle sleeping, I just find more to do to fill the time so I don't just stop and take time to let God heal me and take away the pain, the burden I am choosing to carry.


Psalm 37:7
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him; do not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.

Psalm 46:10
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

Not, "get busy" or "work your fingers to the bone" but BE STILL.

Exodus 14:14
The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still."

God then goes on to tell Moses to tell the Israelites to move on.  Move on.

What does it take to move on from our pain?  Does it take replacing it with something that will make us happy?  What if what God told Moses applies to me?  Be still, let it go, let God fight the fight...and move on.

Moving on from my pain isn't easy.  It's mine to hold on to.  It's mine to wrestle with, to hold up as my barrier to peace, it's what I know.  I don't know what happens when I move on, when I let it go, when I let God take on the battle and I resign from it.  I don't know what might happen and there is some fear there because now, I can wallow in something I know even though it hurts.  It's time to move on and I'm working on it - because I want to know His peace in all areas of my life.

Grace and peace to you.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Encouraged by your writing again.

What you write of is a great Scriptural paradox to me. It is often a cliche--"let go and let God." But it is true. The paradox to me is letting go requires action on my part so God can do his work and REALLY take action.

Rick Ross said...

Keep up the struggle!