Thursday, September 23, 2010

Bug Guts

I'm driving home from Abilene and the windshield is a mess of bug guts and other stuff from the road that makes looking out the windshield a mess, not impossible to see but certainly not clear.  Add driving at a rate of speed that might just be a smidge over the speed limit and it's a recipe for a mess.  I can't see clearly but I'm still going 80-to-nothing (no, I wasn't going 90).  I seem to go through life that way too often.  Anyway, I'm rolling down the highway and all of the sudden I am driving through a downpour.  Buckets of rain are falling and I have to turn the windshield wipers on high to try and keep up.  I'm listening to the rhythm of the wipers and doing my best to see the lines on the road and then, poof, the storm is left behind.  It is then that I notice I am driving with a much cleaner and clearer windshield.


It's a true story but also a story of God.  I am speeding through life, going too fast, vision impaired and then I hit a storm.  As bad as the storm is, God uses it to slow me down and clean up with the windshield so I can see His desire for me more clearly.  The storm helped me, even though it caused some problems at the time, because it made me slow down, think and it helped clean my windshield so I could see my way more clearly. 


Thank you God for knowing what I need, always better than I know myself.


Grace and peace to you.

3 comments:

S P Hughes said...

What a great post. I thought about it and realized that when a storm hits while we're driving some people slow down and are very cautious while others even speed through the storm not concerned about the danger they are in. This causes wrecks on the road and in life.

Kristen said...

Fabulous analogy. Keep up the inspirational writing...you are reaching so many people you do not even know. God is leading you to lead others. What an honor!

Jeff said...

Great thought Shannon.

Thank you Kristen. I appreciate your words.