Friday, May 28, 2010

The People You Meet

I don't consider myself a "people-person" but I do enjoy meeting people and hearing their story, especially the people who will tell you the real story, not the persona they want to create in public.  I am often rewarded to meet some really, really fascinating folks and some people who become inspirations to me.  Recently I was thinking about some folks I identify with and some that I don't.


I identify more with the mom who fears her past sins will be visited on her kids
than the Christian who tells me God wants me to be healthy, wealthy and wise.

I identify more with the guy who has been through rehab because Satan got the best of him
than the Christian who wonders why some people don't get themselves to church.


I identify more with Abraham who made a decision that started a war that rages on today
than the Christian who appears to live an unscathed life.


I identify more with David who had to hide for his life and who sinned and was punished
than the Christian who has nothing to confess.

I identify more with the person who has admitted their faults and tries to follow God
than the Christian who shows up at church in their "Sunday best" ready to greet, meet and get to lunch.


I want to identify with the guy who goes out to feed the homeless
than the Christian who thinks giving thanks is the best he has to offer.


I want to identify with the guy who fights for social justice
more than the guy who wants to lower my taxes.


I want to draw closer to God, to look more like Jesus.  God gave me the example of his son and he has put people in my life today who are examples of what Christ-likeness is.  I hope I will be more and more drawn to that role and that one day my reward will be "well done good and faithful servant."

Grace and peace to you.

2 comments:

MichelleYates said...

Wow Jeff, you are so right....that is is how I feel a lot of the time, I am a person that observes those around me, and I don't say much, unless I am directly asked...it is so true what you said, what a world we would live in and what great Christians we would all be if we subscribed to those thoughts...

Miss Amy said...

I will definitely send you a copy of my book even if no one publishes it.