Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Our Way Of Life

I often hear mention of "protecting our way of life" as something of utmost importance.  What is this "way of life" that is spoken of and what makes it so important?

I struggle mightily with the way I live and the question of how God wants me to live.  Is it important to God that I drive a new, more reliable vehicle?  Is it important to God that I have a certain size house, a pool, a great yard?  Is it important to God that I have health insurance or if I get a cost of living adjustment every year?  Is it important to God that I have a healthy 401k, that I live in a country where I can eat anything I want whenever I want, that I can buy clothes at the hippest stores, that I have an iPhone and other electrical gadgets?  Is that the way of life that needs to be important to protect?  If so, I'm doing alright.

On the other hand, is the way of life I need to be living one that has me interacting with the poor, the hurting, the addicts, the lost, the hopeless, the hungry, the homeless?  Is the way of life I need to be living supposed to look like what Jesus did or the life I described in the previous paragraph?  What is the way of life I need to be protecting?  Living?  It's easy for me to do the other things because they are convenient and they are normal with the people I most associate with.  It's hard to do the things that Jesus did because I would have to go looking for these folks.  I would have to go places I might not always go and be with people I might not feel comfortable being with.  People who eat much different than me, maybe even smell much different than me.

I am praying for conviction and courage.  I want my way of life to be God's way of life for me.  I have already seen how he can use me in my weakness with people I am comfortable with and I wonder what He could do with me where I might be more needed.

Next time you speak of protecting your way of life, spend a little time asking yourself if that's the way God wants you living life.

Grace and peace to you.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I want MY way of life to be swallowed up by HIS way of life!