Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Mighty To Save

My foundation is shaky today.  Where I stood solid 3 weeks ago, today I feel trembling and a little bit of fear.  I am reminded that we can believe and hope and trust and think we see how things can and will work out only to find that it doesn't go our way.  The thing we want desperately, the thing we will fall on our knees to pray for, the thing that we would just know God would take care of the way we want it taken care of...it doesn't happen our way.  And here's the thing - you can give me all the scriptures about God's way not being my way and all but my foundation is still shaking a bit.  It doesn't mean I have lost faith.  It doesn't mean I don't think God is sovereign.  It doesn't mean I don't think the victory is secure.  It simply means today that I am reminded that I have to come to grips with the understanding that God doesn't always let things go our way, that sometimes the things we want most is something we lose.  Maybe it's to remind us that he is bigger than we are.  Maybe it's to remind us that our focus needs to be him and not what we can see and touch.  I just don't know but it has struck me at my core that I cannot always get what I want, that things that are important and special may crumble before me.  I can expect to hurt and to shed tears over what I might lose in the here and now but I still believe, strongly, that the future remains secure and as long as I follow God, I will get to the promised land.


I will forever think of this song as "Jenny's song."  What so many hoped for and prayed for didn't turn out how we had hoped and prayed but God is still mighty to save because he gave Jenny victory.  He didn't do it the way I was imagining but, then again, who would have thought up the idea of giving their child on a cross to save humanity?  God's ways are not my ways, his thoughts are not my thoughts and for that, I do rejoice.  HE IS MIGHTY TO SAVE.

1 comment:

Melissa Taylor said...

Thank you for your thoughts...I have been without words since Monday. It is just so confusing.