Sunday, December 09, 2007

Step Up

I was privileged to attend the youth group Christmas party Sunday night. It's been incredible getting to know some of our youth and they have been an inspiration to me. The last few Wednesday nights, we have had nearly 50 kids show up for class. Many of the kids who come don't have family that attend our church but have been invited and encouraged to come by "our kids." We have such an evangelistic youth group - it is just incredible.

The theme for 2008 is "Step Up." It is a challenge to step up and be a leader regardless of age. I find it an appropriate theme for our group of kids because so many of them are already stepping up. I can only imagine what they may accomplish in the future. Even though they are only teenagers, they are already examples to me and many other older Christians in their service to others and openness to bringing people to God.

I am truly thankful I have been invited to be a part of teaching and participating with this incredible group of people. I know they will push me forward in my service to God. As always, it's hard to talk about our great youth group without mentioning an incredible couple who lead our kids, Jacob and Heather. Jacob and Heather lead with abounding love, a servant spirit and humbleness that is evident in everything they do.

Our kids and our youth leaders are a mixture that could be explosive in glorifying God and putting Satan in his place. Our pray our church will take the challenge Jacob has given the kids and that we all "Step Up" to be Christian leaders and servants in our community and beyond.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I told one of our elders last night at the party that this is an exciting time to be a part of the Decatur Church. I am so honored to work with Jacob every day. He's da man!