Friday, December 14, 2007

Baseball Scandal

The Mitchell Report was released yesterday and several big name players were mentioned as steroids users. The one I was most disappointed to hear was Roger Clemens. I hope it is inaccurate but the steroid saga has reached a point where I think it would be quicker to name the players not accused of using.

I have mixed emotions. On the one hand, I don't know how credible the accuser is. I also see pictures of players who have gotten bigger over the years but I have lots of friends who I'm pretty sure don't use steroids that are thicker today than they were 10-15 years ago. On the other hand, it is discouraging that elite players may not have been as elite without some advantage gained through medicine.

I know this; it's a mess and I'm glad I don't have to sort it out. In the end, people will keep showing up at the ballparks (I'm included) and the games will go on. The arguments will continue over whether someone should be in the Hall of Fame, owners will keep spending millions for players and life will just keep going.
________________________________________________________________

I got to witness a new birth last night. One of the young men in our youth group was baptized with family and friends looking on. I noticed right afterwards that his dad was shedding a few tears and all I could think of was the joy of that father and how much more the joy of The Father. I know angels were singing and rejoicing with Hal Ray's family and friends last night.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Clemens really disappointed me too. I think there needs to be a consistency (even in my own mind). So, if Barry Bonds' records shouldn't be counted (or asterisked), so should Clemens.