Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Flat

I came home last night to find one the tires completely flat on my wife's car. She impressed me with her restraint in saying it was time for a new car (inside joke between she and I). I took it to the uber-store, WalMart, to get fixed and headed to basketball practice. Guess what she found this morning when she went to the garage? Yep, the tire was flat again. So, it was off to Wally World again this morning for a second attempt. It looks like Santa may have to bring a new set of tires this year.
_______________________________________________________________

I was listening to the news this morning while they gave more details about the church shooting in Colorado on Sunday. It's a sad, sickening story. A blog I read yesterday (www.rross.blogspot.com) pointed out the hurting world we live in. While we so often seek justice afterwards, maybe we need to be more aware of offering compassion earlier. I don't know what would have helped the young man who did this but I do know that justice today won't bring anyone back and that's sad too.
_______________________________________________________________

In our Bible class Sunday, I was thinking about this idea of closure for victims of crime. I am fortunate in that I've never been victim of a serious crime. I hear people talk about closure through justice (whether a prison sentence or harsher) but I wonder if that really brings closure. Last night, I listened to a story about Warrick Dunn, a football player for the Atlanta Falcons, who sat across the table from a man who had killed Dunn's mother. As the story went, not one time did Dunn feel the urge to reach across the table and hurt the man. When asked how he could exercise that control, he replied it came from God and counseling he received. It makes me think closure comes from the heart, not from an action.

I just hope I never have to find out the hard way.
_______________________________________________________________

There are a lot of people walking among us that hurt today. Offer a pray for them, that they may find peace and offer a prayer for you and me, that we may be God's instruments of peace.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

If your wife would stay on the road and / or be nice to her students and her preacher, then maybe she wouldn't have so many flats. I'm not suggesting that a student (or a preacher) caused the flat, of course.