Friday, July 20, 2007

Here Today...Gone Tomorrow

A friend had their car broken into and some of the contents stolen yesterday. Theft is so frustrating because it comes into our secured space and takes something from us. When I lived in Ft. Worth, my truck window was smashed and contents stolen two or three times and it happened in my driveway while I was sleeping not too far away. I've known others who had their house broken into, even a deeper penetration of what we consider a safe place.

As we talked about the break in last night, I was reminded again that our stuff isn't really ours. It is, but it isn't. We have been entrusted with things but it can be taken from us in a instant. I take the dollars I work to earn and send them off to someone else for my house, my car, clothes, food, etc. Yet, a tornado could wipe away my house, a wreck could total my car, a thief could run off with all my clothes (he would need some big friends) and on and on. As much as I think my stuff is mine, it's only temporary.

Of course, I'm leading to the idea that we all have different abilities and the capability for different responsibilities and all of our efforts need to focus on the Creator and Giver of life itself. The only thing, the one, single thing we have is a gift in the form of His son, a Savior who has presented us with the only thing we really need. The cars and money and houses and stereos and everything else will be lost from us at some point but there is one thing we have been given that lasts. Yes, we can lose the gift Jesus gave us by ignoring it and turning away from it but if we will grasp it, hold it, cherish it, use it...it is ours to keep.

1 comment:

Kory Jones said...

SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!