Thursday, July 19, 2007

Amazing Grace

It's my favorite song. Many years ago I just loved to sing it. I remember it being one of the main songs I used when rocking my babies to sleep. As I have come to know grace, to feel it and understand it, the song remains my favorite. Before leaving for vacation, I went on iTunes and did a search for Amazing Grace. There were hundreds of versions by various signers and I started downloading. I think I have 11 or so different singers and versions of it. Ruben Studdard (one of the American Idol contestants) does a great version. Chris Tomlin and Jars of Clay both encapsulate the song with different arrangements that are beautiful. Willie Nelson lends his country touch and Bob Seeger and Arlo Guthrie really get folksy with the tune. The Dropkick Murphys put a rocking rendition together that is like nothing I've heard before.

My favorite by far are the Royal Scottish Dragoons. I'm not sure what Dragoons are but they play a mean bagpipe. I've told my wife when I have a funeral that I don't want much but I do hope she can find someone to play Amazing Grace with bagpipes.

It is such a blessing when we can recognize grace. I don't think I did for many years but I feel it in waves today. I've heard people say that those who have sunk the deepest may understand grace the most. I don't know if it's true or not but believe there have been times I've sunk deeper than I ever want to go again and I am confident that grace rescued me.

I'm so thankful for the grace of God. I pray I will never take it for granted, that I will rejoice in the healing power of it and that I will give it freely, as freely as God shares it with me.

2 comments:

Rick Ross said...

What a beautiful blog!

I was reading about Tomlin's version just the other day. He goes back to the original words. In fact, one of the verses he sings you probably haven't ever heard before. But it is what Newton originally penned.

Rick Ross said...

Oh, I forgot to say: My granddad and 2nd cousin had a Scottish bagpiper at their funerals. It was really cool!

I'll help Kelly find one when the time comes.