Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Sacrifice

During the 9/11 memorials and shows much was said about so many sacrifices that have and will be made to protect us and our interests. We often have to sacrifice to get what we want and when we truly want it, the sacrifice never seems too great.

I heard the President talk about a woman whose husband was a New York City fireman who lost his life on 9/11. Her sons have since joined the Army and the FDNY. They were taught that sacrifice was good for them and good for those whom they would serve. The mother willingly accepts that her children may also give as much as her husband did to defend and protect us. The boys have willingly accepted that service to others is noble. What an incredible family and incredible example.

As I thought about this, it wasn't a far jump to think about the sacrifice that was made for me on a cross. I have such respect and admiration for those in public service to others who make my life easier and more enjoyable. That said, how much more I am thankful a Savior who gave his life for me, not that I would have an easier life but that I would have an eternal life.

I am glad people are willing to sacrifice for me but it doesn't compare with the sacrifice that was made to take away my sins, to cleanse and purify me and to send me home to be with my Father.

No comments: