Thursday, September 28, 2006

Run to the Finish Line

Yesterday, I had the joy of watching my daughter run in a cross country meet. These meets are usually run over a 2 mile (or slightly longer) course. I could tell funnies about the course and some of the people there but the attention was all on the girls. A girl from Lindsey came in first way, way, way ahead of everyone else. A girl from Alvord couldn't finish the course and I could see what I thought to be confusion and agony in her eyes as she was going to her knees. We later heard she might have been suffering from hypoglycemia. After that long of a run in the lovely 93 degree blazing heat, all the girls looked tired as they came close to the end. I saw an older man standing near the next to last turn cheering every girl from every school on for the final stretch. Neat stuff.

It was good to see several young ladies I knew run and compete well but there was one who had my eye. A tall, pretty girl who really dislikes getting up in the morning for early morning practices and has never seemed to be a big fan of sweating ran a great race. It wasn't her best time and she didn't finish at the head of the pack but what she did was compete, try hard, overcome heat and dust and put out the effort to finish the race. It was her kick at the end, not wanting to let an opponent get by her, that really let her spirit show through. Coming through the last turns, she looked like she had already given all she would give but in those last few yards, she dug down to find a bit more. That will serve her well through life and I am so proud of what she has accomplished. She has improved a great deal in the past several weeks with her times dropping dramatically. I know she has grown physically stronger. Even more, she has grown mentally stronger - taking on a challenge and accomplishing personal victory. She ran and she finished and all the while is winning personal victories. I am very proud of her.

You go girl!

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

You have every reason to be proud. Tear 'em up, Kory!