Friday, September 15, 2006

The Rosie Way

Much is being made of Rosie O'Donnell's recent comments on The View that radical Christianity is as dangerous as radical Islam. I'm not Rosie fan (nor a fan of Barbara Walters or any other TV mouthpiece) but her comments are being discussed by many in liberal and conservative camps with very little support for what she said.

Comments like these are the danger of TV, radio and even blogging land. Something you say can easily be taken out of context or said without thought to a wider interpretation of what you mean. It's dangerous to open your mouth sometimes.

Rosie's comment received applause on the clip of the show I was able to see and I'm sure she has supporters but most of what I've seen and heard as been negative. Then again, I don't run in the most liberal circles in the land so maybe I'm just missing alot.

In my mind, the key to her comment was "radical Christians". I'm not completely sure what she meant by that but would agree there are some in our country who kill and hurt in the name of Christianity. I am saddened when I hear of someone blowing up an abortion clinic in the name of Christianity. I don't think that is what Christ would have us do. At the same time, I believe we must speak up, we must teach and not to those who are right in front of us but also to the masses. I'm all for a campaign to ABC wanting a retraction of that statement and even to have someone like Rosie pulled from the show but I also worry about the language or tone some would use in doing that.

I hope we will see Christ using people to combat ludicrous comments made by people who are just like us, sinners in need of redemption. I hope they will speak in a way that will show the love and compassion of a Savior and I hope that people will see Christians as radical only because we believe in something that we cannot see and cannot touch but know in our hearts that exists...a loving God and a beautiful future in eternity.

No comments: