Thursday, September 07, 2006

New Leadership

I was listening to one of the yapping morning shows when an interview with Hillary Clinton came on. Fortunately, the sound went out during most of it but I did hear one comment she made that I agreed with. "We need new leadership" Ms. Clinton claimed. How true, how true.

I wonder what challenges our children will face. We hear the term 'public service' thrown around when people are running for office but it doesn't seem they are always trying to serve the public. On the other hand, even good political leaders get slapped around by their opponents, typically groups on the extremes of normal society.

One of my favorite movies is Dave, a story about a decent guy who is an identical match for the President who suffered a stroke. The President is a sorry guy listening to some sorrier advisors and when he is hit with the stroke, these sorry advisors find Dave to people a talking puppet for them because they don't like/trust the VP. Dave turns out to be a leader, fights off the advisors and becomes a leader of the people. It's a feel good story but one I can almost imagine. Just imagine if we had a bunch of political leaders who spoke to and for the common people of this country, not the noisy extremists.

I never imagined myself agreeing with Hillary but today I do. We need new leadership.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I think "leadership" is the key term here. Not someone with their finger in the air checking the wind of public opinion. That is "followership."