Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Living California Style

I walked over to Venice Beach last night. There were people enjoying the sun and sand, fishing from the pier and surfing. There were several tourist types also. I don't know if the non-tourists types were tourists/vacationers or if they lived there but they all seemed to have one thing in a common - a desire to slow the pace of life down, to soak up the sun and enjoy the moment. If I could bottle it and bring it back with me, I would. I saw the same thing while in Brazil. The desire to enjoy the moment and not worry about all the things I too often let pressure me.

We worry so much and create so much stress for ourselves, it's no wonder we find ourselves weary, beaten down and ill. We create a world where there is so much to be done, we never find the time to do it all. (I realize this is a generalization and doesn't apply to everyone.) I applaud those who find ways to minimize the clutter and maximize peace in their lives. I even envy them a bit because I think of myself as one to shun creating that cluttered, busy, stress-filled environment but then find myself with something to do or somewhere to be each night of the week.

I hope I can learn the lesson that life is too short to fill it with worry about tomorrow, about tasks, about things I cannot control and that I fill it with the joy and peace God wishes for me. I hope you find it too.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

It's a constant battle, isn't it? The Scripture regularly plays in my head, yet I tend to push it aside: "Be still and know that I am God."