Friday, February 03, 2006

Working on our church mission committee, I rely quite a bit on the church secretary to get information for me, help with banking issues and sometimes serve as a go-between for me, the missionary and the associate minister at our church. She never complains and always handles what is asked of her without the slightest complaint or "I want to pull your eyeballs out of your head" look on her face. I don't know, she may be feeling it inside but she does what is requested efficiently and with much grace. She serves quietly and does not seem to want attention or credit. I love her attitude and her spirit. I appreciate her quiet service.
I may not remember the story correctly but as I recall it, an uncle of mine gave money to a family in his community that had little yet he did it without the family knowing where it came from. I guess he directed it through the church or the minister there but he wanted to serve and to help. I don't think anyone in our family knew it until after my uncle died and the minister shared it with them. Even though I don't remember the all the circumstances, I certainly remember the example.
We are here to give, not to get. We are here to serve, not receive. I know that when I give, I certainly get blessings - both spiritual and physical - returned to me. I know that when I serve, I receive service from others. As long as I do what God wants from me, I will get more than I need returned.
I appreciate my uncle and our church secretary for their examples. There are so many others that surround me in my life and I thank God for blessing me with wonderful people who help me stay focused on Him and the joy I get from being His child.

No comments: