Thursday, February 16, 2006

As I was leaving the elementary school after dropping my son off today, it struck me that I will only be taking a child to that school for just a few more months. I've been driving to that school during the school year almost daily for 7 years and it will be over soon.

It just reminded me of how fast life goes by and how insignificant our lives can be. We really aren't around for a long time when you think about it. Just yesterday I was 15 and starting to drive and now I'm...older, with arthritis in my back. My children have changed so dramatically since it was just yesterday they were in diapers.

Our lives can be insignificant - if we allow them to be. Time swallows them up and if we do nothing, the time can be meaningless. Yet, I have had a vast number of people in my life who have been very significant. I would have to start with my mom and dad and go from there but the point is, there have been people throughout my life who have served me in so many ways. Some may not have known it, others were intentional in what they did.

God calls us to significance. Not an overinflated ego, not blown up pride but significance is service to others. I trust that I and my wife through our teaching, nurturing and love for our children will have a profound significance in how they live their lives. Their grandparents, uncles and aunts, teachers, older kids, friends and on and on will also have significance in their teaching, nurturing and love for my children.

Our service is what makes "our mark" on the world. We see the Trumps and Bushes and Rockefellers and think they will make history yet we all make history every day because of our love for God and, in turn, how we treat others. We make their history and I know there are many, many more quiet history makers than the prominent names we read about in the paper and in books.

As my children move on through their lives, I hope I will make a positive impact on them and pray that God will bring many people into their lives and help them grow and, in return, become significant in the lives of others to share the love that Christ shares with us.

No comments: