Monday, February 06, 2006

I'm having trouble writing today. I'm wrestling with the fact that companies view TV as being so powerful that they will pay $2.5 million for a 30 second spot. I know that the TV executives are convinced by buying habits that TV is strong in influencing people's beliefs and opinions. Take it one step further and I believe TV executives also believe and want to affect beliefs about sex, homosexuality and other issues that Christians find detrimental to living out God's will. These people can and do influence thousands, maybe millions, that homosexuality is OK because the characters on TV are fun and loveable, that sex between unmarried children/adults is just normal, that alcohol and "recreational" drug use doesn't really hurt people. TV often portrays Christians as being very fallible yet unconcerned about what their mistakes (sin) can do. TV shows religion as just another hobby, not much different than fishing or shopping.

I know I could just unplug the thing and throw it out the window but I'd rather put some effort into expressing my opinion to the people making the decisions, to maybe see this mass medium used for good and building people up than for dumbing us down. I think TV can be a useful tool when used the right way and hiding my face from it won't make it go away. I'm called to service and part of that service is speaking out against the issues that tear people down just as much as I am called to help the poor. I would encourage you to let the networks know when you are not happy with what is on TV. The power of your email can be stronger than you think.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I have to confess: Sometimes I wonder if they even care anymore. They will continue producing shows / movies that are flops in order to promote their agendas. Over and over it has been proven that the cleaner movies, etc. make them more money.

But you are right. We need to speak up. I would just encourage Christians to speak up without being obnoxious or "holier-than-thou" in our attitudes.