Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Tonight is the night. The Longhorns will defeat USC for the national title and watch Vince Young run off to fame and fortune in the NFL. It should be a great game and I hope it will be like the other bowl games have been - close and exciting. USC is a great team with several good athletes. The fate of Texas pretty well rests on Vince Young's feet. I have faith though and the Tivo is set.

I watched Boyd take on Paradise last night in basketball. It was another close game that shouldn't have been and Boyd ended up losing after being up 16-2 in the 1st quarter. The two are big rivals and it was a physical game. Two of Boyd's best players fouled out late in the game but I think coaching decisions are what did them in.

The bleachers are the best place to coach from. No one yells at you, no parents wait for you after the game to complain about how little Junior was treated, you get to forget the losses and remember the victories. It's an awesome place to coach. I know other people like that and I see them in everyday life. They would run a business a lot better than the people doing it. They would run the schools much better than the people doing it. They would make the church a better church than the people involved. Yet they never engage. They never step up to take responsibility at work, in the schools or at church.

In the past, these people have caused me a great deal of frustration. Today, not so much because in the end, they will be accountable for what they did or didn't do just as I will and the one thing I don't want on my resume is that I spent too much time being frustrated over people who complain so that I became a complainer about complainers instead of a worker for God.

I suppose I will always coach basketball games from the bleachers. It's a fun hobby and I'm pretty sure my decisions would have left each time I bleacher-coached undefeated. Yet, I hope I never become a bleacher-coach with the Lord's work. I hope I am engaged, active and vibrant in trying to live my life doing His will. I don't want to be a spectator of heaven, I want to be fully involved.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

It's just the unfortunate nature of things. Those who "do" are always going to be easy targets for those who "do not." But it is ultimately those who "do" who make a difference in this world.