Wednesday, January 25, 2006

This past Saturday night, our family went to Bass Hall to hear Asleep at the Wheel and the Ft. Worth Symphony play. It was a good show and entertaining but what really has stuck with me was how the show opened. The symphony was on stage and launched into the Star Spangled Banner at which point everyone stood up...and started singing. It was really a neat, neat moment to hear all these people singing the national anthem.
It seems we play the anthem at many sporting events and other venues but seldom do I hear the people sing and I'm typically one of the crowd not singing. On Thursday or Friday I had read an article stating that a growing number of people do not know the words to the Star Spangled Banner yet here we were, in Ft. Worth, Texas, with an incredible symphony playing and a large number of people singing.
The remainder of the night, a muted light continuously shone on the American flag stationed on the side of the stage. What a neat tribute to our country and to those who have served our country, both past and present.
The show was good but the experience of patriotism is what will remain with me about that night. Thank God for those who serve us, who keep us free and pray that we will be the people He wants us to be.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

As I get older, I find myself becoming much more sentimental about such things. The flag means more to me today than ever. I am so fortunate to be a citizen of the Kingdom of heaven. But I am grateful to do my pilgrimage here on this earth in America.