Friday, January 20, 2006

Lowe's opened today. Chili's before that and Starbucks awhile back. More restaurants all the time and now, even Paradise is getting a bank. What's going on? I remember moving to Decatur 9 years ago thinking I was headed to the country. I suppose in many ways it is still small town but it's not the quaint small town I've dreamed of living in. There's enough people in Wal-Mart at any given time to make it a small town of it's own. When we came here, 3 or 4 cars at the 287/51 red light was a traffic jam. Now, there might be 8-12 in both lanes. Yikes.

I don't really have anywhere to go with this other than thinking about Lowe's in Decatur. It just doesn't seem real but supposedly the ribbon cutting (or board sawing as I hear it) happened this morning and another big box retailer is off and running in our fair town.

I hope everyone enjoys the new stores and restaurants coming to town. As for me, I'd just as soon Mattie's still be open on the square and everyone else would go away. I long for a slower, peaceful type of life but I don't suppose it's something I'll see anytime soon. Work, baseball, ballet, basketball, musicals...on and on it goes. There's always something to do and somewhere to be. I guess I should quit typing this rampage against everything new and get headed to where I need to be next.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: