Thursday, January 05, 2006

That was fun! Last night as I paced through the living room and was constantly told to "sit down" I thought how funny it must be for someone looking in from the outside to see me moving around as if I was the coach. I talk to the TV, to the officials, to the coaches and to the announcers...and obviously it worked. Texas won! What an exciting moment for Mack and Vince and all the players. I stayed up long after the game watching ESPN and saw several of the players still celebrating on the field after most everyone had cleared out. It was fun to watch.

I got an email from a friend yesterday, someone who helped raise me in some respects, encouraging me and saying some nice things about me. It really made me feel good and reminded me how important, how uplifting a kind word can be. I started thinking about all the people I needed to share a kind word with more often and thought of how often the people closest to me are some of the last ones I encourage. My wife would be forefront on that list. We work together to raise kids, build a home and do all the things we need to do and I take for granted she is always there, always working. Like everyone else, we have our moments where we don't see eye to eye but we've been able to move past those times and stay focused on what is important. She is so important to my life and I need to lift her up more often. Much the same for my children. They make me laugh, they make me cry and they remind me that life is not about me but about helping others. My boss, my friends, Elders at the church, teachers...there are so many that would benefit from a "thank you" and a little encouragement.

I hope I don't forget yesterday's email as I try to do better thanking others (even if it's just buying them a Diet Coke in the morning!). Most of all, I don't want to forget to thank God for His gift and His mercy. He has the words to encourage me daily and I need to always be lifting Him up and glorifying Him.

No comments: