Friday, June 10, 2011

Why the Rangers Are Cool

It's Friday so how about nothing too heavy today?  Works for me.


I subscribe to the Newberg Report which is a daily email update on the Rangers.  I got this email earlier this week about the Rangers 2nd pick in the 1st round, Zach Cone, and a college teammate of Cone's who was injured in a collision with Cone on the playing field.


Recall this note from yesterday’s Newberg Report:

[Supplemental first-round pick Zach] Cone hit .363/.403/.627 for the Bulldogs in 2010, leading to pre-season All-America recognition and prompting BA’s Jim Callis to write a year ago that he profiled as a first-round pick this season and that he “[m]ight be the best athlete in the 2011 college crop.”  But he collided with fellow Bulldogs outfielder Jonathan Taylor as they converged on a looping line drive in March, leaving Taylor (who weighed 20 pounds less than the 200-lb. Cone) partially paralyzed with a neck injury after his head struck Cone’s hip.  He may not walk again. 

Texas just drafted Taylor in the 33rd round (h/t Jason Cole of Lone Star Dugout).

I find this very, very, very cool.

Jamey


This is a good reason why I'm a Rangers fan; win, lose or draw.  I know it doesn't mean the Rangers organization has the heart of Jesus...or maybe it does.  Either way, it sounds like good people doing good stuff. I can't imagine being paralyzed and what that does to someone emotionally.  I can't imagine being the guy who ran into the guy who is now paralyzed.  I wonder if it slows him down on the field when he knows another player is chasing a ball.  I'm guessing there could be a strong bond between those two players now and maybe both getting drafted by the Rangers helps both of them heal and look forward to what can be. 

Go here for more on the story from the Rangers website: Rangers Draft Taylor


I think about my funeral a lot, probably too much, but it's mine so I can think about it all I want.  I've always hoped the things that were said about me had more to do with me loving God and doing his will than loving the Rangers or Longhorns or baseball or something of this world.  That said, I might not mind being mentioned as a Rangers fan after reading about their 33rd round draft choice.


I went to a memorial service for Jimmie Armes on Wednesday.  I didn't know Jimmie as well as I would have liked to but knew him well enough to know he was a good man, a sincere and compassionate man and based on what was said at his memorial service, a man who wanted to know God better every day of his life.  I'll miss seeing Jimmie, even as infrequently as I did, but he's someone who left a story of doing good and loving people for me and I will always appreciate him for that.  His wife, Marye Nella, is cut of the same cloth, a good woman with a loving heart and I am thankful to know her.  I hope she will find peace and comfort through the Lord with the loss of Jimmie.


Grace and peace to you.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I found the Rangers' gesture to be a beautiful story.

Jimmie was a delightful man. I am blessed to have known him.