Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Obsession

I'm teaching class tonight as we continue working through Crazy Love.  I think I was asked to teach the chapter on being obsessed with Jesus because it's one that I need to work on so much.  I don't know that I'm obsessed with anything but when I think about what I might be obsessed by "Mercedes" pops into my head.  I've always wanted one and now the Mercedes G500 is on my list of things I really, really want.  I have no need for it.  I don't have the money it takes to acquire one.  I just want one.


Frances Chan, in the study video for Crazy Love, talks about how it makes sense to him that the early Christians were obsessed with Jesus.  They had been around him and listened to him, then they saw him die followed by seeing the empty tomb and the resurrected Christ among them.  They were living in the middle of it so the fact that they gathered together, sold their possessions and took care of each others needs doesn't seem far-fetched.  He goes on (and this is the part I like) and says it would be much harder for him to believe they were obsessed with the Christ if they had said, "hey, let's have services once a week and sing some songs and listen to a sermon and then go our own way the rest of the week."  Cracks me up...and it doesn't change his comment for me very much if you throw in Sunday night and Wednesday night.


I've been satisfied for far too long with making an appearance at the church building and going on my way saying I was a follower of Christ.  I want to be more obsessed with the things Jesus was obsessed with.  Sure, he spent time teaching but his time was much more about helping others with their spiritual AND physical needs.  The church I've attended all my life touts our "pattern theology" and, maybe it's just me, but I don't feel I have been a part of the group that follows the pattern of the church in Acts 2:42.  I'm more accustomed to thinking about what I have, not what I am giving away to someone who needs it.  I'm more accustomed to worrying about tax rates and savings accounts and the size of my 401k than being willing to give all I have and trust God will provide all I need.  I want to look more like that church in 2:42.  I want people to identify me with that body.

I don't want to be misunderstood (though I can imagine it easy when dealing with my crazy mind) so I want to be clear that what I'm talking about is a heart that is willing to give everything to God.  Does that mean that could include physical possessions?  Yes, definitely.  Does that mean I earn any standing with God because I did something?  NO!  I don't want anyone to think I'm saying I have to do some physical act to get in God's good graces.  I lived that theology for far too long.  I'm talking about a heart and mind that is obsessed for God and, I believe, if I have that the physical acts will follow from a desire to be a servant to others.


Chan talks in the video about how the 2:42 church shared all their stuff - their houses, their money, their cars.  It makes me think.  I don't care if anyone borrows my 2002 truck.  It's got 150,000 miles on it, plenty of scratches and I'm not worried about it.  But, park a Mercedes G500 in the driveway and I'm not sure I'm as willing to let you take it as the old truck.  At that point, what am I really obsessed with?


I want to be obsessed with living the life God wants me to live.  Maybe that includes a car that doesn't seem reasonable for me, more likely it doesn't.  Either way, I want to give, to share, to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, give the thirsty something to drink...to be more like Christ.


Grace and peace to you.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I read Crazy Love once in its entirety and was overwhelmed. Since then, I have revisited a few chapters and found new things to ponder each time. I especially like Chan's point that we spend too much time waiting to do the right things for others. He even suggests that waiting on God's Will is often used as an excuse to put off what we should do today. We worry too much about being safe in this life...that is the crazy part to me.

Rick Ross said...

Great thoughts. It is an interesting phenomena that times in the wilderness lead to clearer priorities. Again, we are traveling similar roads. I want to be obsessed with Jesus!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing.

I'm going to give Frances Chan a nickname: Chan the Challenger. Everytime I read his writings or hear someone talking about what he has to say, I'm challenged to rethink my life and priorities. I believe God put him on the earth at this time to do just that--challenge American Christians to reread their Bibles and rethink how they live out the calling of Christ.

bartsirmandvm said...

Right on Jeff. It's ironic that we discussed this same topic, in a way, in men's class tonight and we're still in chapter 4. I so want my obsession with Christ to permeate every aspect of my life!! Bless you brother.