Thursday, January 07, 2010

You Just Never Know

I don't know who reads my blog because there are few contributors (a break for a shout-out to Rick, my consistent responder. See more at rross.blogspot.com) but every now and then someone tells me they are reading it which is cool. Sometimes I even get a response from someone that I never imagined would be responding. Yesterday was one of those times and it makes me enjoy doing this even more.

Adding on to a bit of yesterday's post, I spoke of my son at baseball practice. He practices at a facility in Keller going by the name of Swing City and run by Luis Ortiz and Jason Noonan. Jason is my son's coach and the one he has spent the most time working with and Jason has helped him in so many ways. Luis is a former MLB player and has works with my son when he is in town (Luis also works for the Rangers and spends a good bit of time traveling). The thing that strikes me about these guys and the environment is a) their obvious love for teaching and working with kids and b) their ability to figure out how to communicate a concept with the kid they are working with.

At a minimum, they say hi to every kid and parent when they walk in the door and they tell every kid and parent bye when they leave. If they aren't working with someone at those moments the kids will get a hug or a high five (or wrestled to the ground if they are up for it). It's obvious these guys love working with "their" kids. Then, they find ways to communicate. I've taken my son to several coaches and many of them have good ideas but only communicate it one way. If the kid can't grab that concept he's out of luck. Not so at Swing City. These guys find a way to explain it whether the kid is 5 with the mind of a 12 year old or 15 with the mind of a 6 year old (OK, there aren't that many of the second kind...I hope). It's a great talent and one of the key things that has allowed me to feel so good about using them for the past 2 years.

If you have or know a kid who wants to be a better baseball player, take them to Swing City in Keller. It's been a home run for me.

I mentioned Luis and Jason but there are also some other guys there - Jeff, Jared, Kory, Doug and Lincoln - that are all great guys and all of them have some input with the kids at some point. It's always positive and it's always helpful and it's always pushing the kids to be better today than the last time they came.

Check 'em out at www.swingcity.biz.
_________________________________________________

OK, that's my non-paid advertisement for the day.
_________________________________________________

I love Romans. It's full of truth and encouragement. It's full of hope and promise. It's full of how to live through today while keeping my eye on the fulfillment of the promise. Do you need to hear some good news? Do you need some hope? It's there in Romans.

Grace and peace to you.

2 comments:

Melissa Taylor said...

Mark and I read your blog :)

Unknown said...

You spelt Cory wrong i think

Josh