Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Deep Stuff

Not really any deep stuff here today.

Letterman has apologized to Palin for his jokes. This little explosion, what little attention I've paid to it, simply disgusts me. Letterman's joke was out of line regardless of which daughter he thought was at the ballgame. Plain and simple out of line, inappropriate and crude. He should know better and should have apologized immediately. On the other hand, Palin continues to use it for her political stature. Someone asked me what I would have done had it been my child. I hope I would have been forgiving and merciful and let it go. Does it help the girl that her mother keeps beating the dead horse in the public forum. Surely not. It drags it on and on. I hope Palin apologizes for her actions. She did far more than defend her daughter, she exploited it for her own gain.

This ordeal only brings me back to the way I am trying to see things in my life. Do you really think this was just a bad actor and an overzealous politician...or is it something more, something darker that wants to use just these actions to pull our thoughts away from Christ-like living? I reserve the right to be dead wrong but I tend to see these things as part of the spiritual warfare that is going on around us. Would satan rather us be caught up in a battle between people or service to our Savior? Who looks at Letterman and Palin as simply a late night TV guy and a politician and who sees them as falliable children of the Creator? Does seeing them as children of God, made in His image, susceptible to lure of evil just like me, change the way I feel about them?
_________________________________________________________________

It's this kind of baloney that has pushed me to quit watching the news programs. Local, CNN, Fox...they are in business to sensationalize information so as to get the people watching and listening up in arms. What drives ratings? The crazy and the bizarre.
_________________________________________________________________

If you find yourself looking for stuff in the Bible, try www.biblegateway.com. It's a great tool with a good search function and works similar to a concordance but does even more.

Grace and peace.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Good observations on the Letterman-Palin thing.

May the Kingdom continue to invade life as it is.