Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Me and Bobby McGee

A friend of mine often uses quotes from Christian writers to help illustrate an idea on his blog. Me, I use Kris Kristofferson. I heard him singing "Me and Bobby McGee" the other day and a line from the song has stuck with me. Freedom's just another word for 'nothing left to lose'. Truth Kris, truth.

I'm not here to advocate giving up everything I have. I have wrestled the past few years with material possessions and what makes God happy. Where I went off the rails a bit was worrying that I had too much when the problem was really with where my heart is. Am I more concerned about helping those who need help or am I more concerned with protecting my assets? When my heart is attuned to God, when my desire is to serve Him first using whatever gifts I have to offer, the material isn't a problem. But when I'm more concerned about my assets and adding to my collection - my heart strays from God and His desire for me to serve in His kingdom.

Having nothing to lose isn't just about material possessions, it's about our heart. When I am living in the light, following God's desire for me, living in concert with Him so that when something does go wrong, when something is lost, I am free to let it go and know God has a plan for me. Freedom is letting go of everything I'm tempted to grab hold of and just letting God hold on to me, trusting that He will never drop me, never let me go.

Thanks for those great words Kris.

I hope you are also finding the freedom and peace that God offers.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

Great thoughts!