Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Run the Race

1 Corinthians 9:23-25 (New International Version)

23I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. 24Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

Hebrews 12:1-3 (New International Version)

1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

These passages came to mind tonight during Bible study. I thought about the race we must run and what kind of race it is. Is it a sprint? I think that is often what we want it to be; a race that takes effort but where the goal is reached quickly but the race usually isn't quick. Is it a marathon? While our race may be long, I don't think distance is the only issue. I have settled on the idea that the race is often more like a steeplechase; long and grueling on it's own mixed with many obstacles that will wear us down, cause us to fall and render pain.

I don't know that any of those analogies are right but I do know this. The race we are running started with a glorious event that we are about to celebrate - the resurrection of the Christ. I want to keep my eyes fixed on the prize because a high price was paid on my behalf to receive it. I want to keep my eyes fixed on the prize because I want to know the pure joy of being in the presence of God.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I like the steeplechase analogy. I wonder if they even ran that when Paul was writing? I guess it would be more like a steeplechase marathon.