Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Warriors

My image of a warrior is someone who is always ready for a fight, always prepared for battle, always looking for the enemy and ready to use all the weapons and tools they have to win the battle.

I wonder what happens when the battle is over. What does a warrior do? What goes through the mind of that person who is so ready for battle that they look forward to it because it has become their comfort zone? How easily can they adapt to peace? I wonder if it is scary to a warrior when the battle they are fighting comes to an end.

I have been reading and trying to better understand spiritual warfare and this is one of the questions I have been mulling. What happens to people who are in the midst of a spiritual battle and they see it coming to an end? Do they exhale and become thankful and relax or do they fear the end because they have equipped themselves to keep on fighting? Or what happens to them when they are between battles? They have been fighting then the fight subsides. How do they keep from getting lazy while enjoying the peace?

I know some of these questions are a little over the top and don't apply to every person and every situation. They are just thoughts I've had bouncing around in my head and in my heart. I have used them in looking at my life and how I have and will deal with spiritual battles. I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all answer to any of the questions but they are questions that make me stop, even haunt me a little.

I know this. God is good and will provide everything I need if I rely on him. It's when I rely on me that things fall apart. Maybe I'm coming up with those questions with a "me" mentality because none of them ask what God does in the heart of a warrior. I need to think about it some more.

May your hearts and lives be filled with His grace and peace.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

In my experience, it is kind of like this: Does Jack Bauer ever get a break? The end of one battle leads into another. Satan has a knack for seldom letting up.