Tuesday, May 06, 2008

New Stuff and The End

I've been playing around with what you see on my blog a little bit. My wife told me about the verse of the day feature from Biblegateway.com which is a cool feature. Thanks to her for helping me be a bit more technologically savvy. I also added a picture I took in Venice, Louisiana last year. It's sunset around the Gulf of Mexico. I love sunsets and this picture is very calming to me.
________________________________________________________________

Many of you have probably heard the story of Randy Pausch (I think I spelled it right) who is dying of pancreatic cancer. He was a professor at Carnegie-Mellon and delivered his last lecture at the school last year. It was a lecture about things that have come to him knowing he had a relatively short time to live. He is married with 3 very young children and he was looking for a way to pass on his love for them and nuggets of wisdom he would want them to know. It's a touching story but even more, a thought-provoking story for anyone who hears him.

What would you do if you knew you only had months to live? What would you tell your family? What would you tell others? Where would you go? What would you want to leave behind? How would you change? Are there people or things that frustrate you now that don't matter if you only have weeks/months left? Are there things you would go try? Questions that all of us have encountered at one time or another but not with the intensity of someone with a short time to live.

These are questions that are on my mind but I'm living as if there are years and years to get to them. I'm contemplating my current approach to those questions and many others. In the next day or so, I'll post some links to his lecture so you can hear more for yourself.

Peace to you.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I, too, have been thinking about what I want to leave behind. My father-in-law's passing has reminded me of what is really important. He left behind a legacy of loving people and making sure they knew he loved them. Or as Beverly would put it: He loved well. I think that would be a pretty good legacy.