Friday, May 09, 2008

Mom's the Word

Sunday is Mother's Day and I want to give thanks for the mothers in my life. Moms have a special place in most people's lives and mine is no different. My mom certainly had her hands full at times but always loved me through whatever I put her through. She helped mold me and shape me and make my life the best she could give me. I may never appreciate the sacrifices she made for me but I am pretty confident that she still wouldn't have it any other way. Most of the memories that immediately come to mind have to do with food or moments that I was surely exasperating her. Lemon ice box pie, fried chicken, black-eyed peas and hot water cornbread, boiled shrimp. I certainly ate good. We still laugh (maybe I laugh more than her) about the last spanking she gave me. I remember the fear I put in her life when I was off on my motorcycle and she couldn't find me. It's only been since I've had children that I understood that fear. There's no telling how many basketball and football games she sat through cheering me on.

Thank you mom for loving me every moment of my life.
______________________________________________________________

I am thankful for my wife, the mother of my children. I would guess, like I was and many children are, that they do not know how to appreciate their mom for all she does but one day they will. How many meals have been prepared, how many pieces of clothing washed, miles driven to church and school functions and on and on? How many scrapes, bumps and bruises have been cleaned and kissed for faster healing? There is so much she does without fanfare simple driven by her love for her children. I have been blessed and my two kids have been blessed with a wonderful wife and mother.
______________________________________________________________

I am thankful for my mother-in-law. She has been a blessing to 3 children, their spouses and 8 grandchildren. Her love for her family is shared all the time. I am thankful for the love she gave her children which is evident in how they live their lives and the feeling of acceptance she gave to me many years ago. I count it a blessing that I have such a good relationship with her and I give thanks for her.
______________________________________________________________

The common thread through these 3 mothers is their love for God and their desire to honor Him. What an incredible blessing and legacy for their children.

Thank you to the 3 wonderful women in my life.

1 comment:

Melissa Taylor said...

How nice - what would we do without moms? I am glad you have those special women in your life. Not everyone is that blessed.