Thursday, July 20, 2006

It's So Quiet

We are married folk without kids for a few days. We took them to East Texas for a few days with the grandparents and pick them up in a couple of days (at which point we will have to start retraining). I love this time because it's more peaceful, it's quieter and I can have a conversation with my wife without someone needing something or getting directions to do something for the 2nd, 5th, 8th time. We went out to eat and had a nice, peaceful meal and will do so again. We're looking forward to a peaceful night at home one night. It's nice to get a brief break, a chance to relax. All the while, we both miss them terribly. I got to speak with both my children today and it was wonderful to hear their voices and in a few days I'll be back in the routine of noise, needs and directions and I will know all is normal.

Our children have been such a blessing to us. They are different but both have such wonderful characteristics and both bring immense joy to us. One of the things I love is to see them serve others. My daughter is so wonderful with younger children. I love to watch her play with them, teach them and negotiate with them. I think she has a solid babysitting career ahead of her because she demonstrates her care for them. My son is so comfortable with older people. He will speak, listen and, at times, perform and bring smiles to their faces.

I could go on and on as most any parent could but I'll refrain and leave it with a thought of thankfulness for the blessings God has given me. I'm convinced he sent angels to earth.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I love your kids! But I remember how special it is to have a break, too. By the way, empty nest is great.