Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Thoughts Are My Thoughts

Profund stuff, huh?  I found myself in a conversation the other night about why there are so many churches believing so many different things and as I gave answers to some of the questions I wondered how many of my answers are driven by my own thoughts of what God intends for us to know today as opposed to simply what God wants us to know today. 

I have grown up listening to and believing the things my preacher and my teachers told me the Bible said and spent far too little time knowing what God's Word said.  I've read some of the famous authors and the not so famous, studied commentaries and searched out what other people had to say but haven't spent near enough time reading and be quiet to hear what God wants me to know. 

My thoughts are not God's thoughts, at least not all of them, but I hope the coming days will find me spending more time reading from God's words and listening for what he wants to lay on my heart instead of being content hearing what the preacher has to say and leaving it at that.  While I think the man delivering the messages at my church does a great job, I know he would agree that only God himself can speak to me in the way only God can.  I simply need to listen.

Grace and peace to you.

#powerofGod

No comments: