Thursday, October 06, 2011

More On Jobs

Steve Jobs commencement address at Stanford is everywhere.  He said some really good things, some really motivating things and something that made me stop in my reading tracks and go back to what it said.  I suggest reading the whole speech but read the following excerpt with me.

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.


Did you catch the first two sentences?  No one wants to die.  Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there.  WOW!  The sad part to me is that I think he is right on based on many conversations I've had.  I have heard several sermons and many class discussions and plenty of conversations about how wonderful heaven will be but so many people don't want to go.  What will happen to this?  Who will take care of that?  What about the kids?  These conversations go on like we have all the control over all these factors and we have the best plan and it sure makes it seem that when some talk about the almighty power of God they must not believe it.

Jobs missed the mark on me.  I want to go to heaven and I'm ready to go NOW.  I trust that God will take care of my kids in ways I never will.  I trust that God will make a path for things to work how he, the creator and author of life, knows is best.  That path might be that I don't get to go to heaven anytime soon, that he has plans for me here in this dark place.  So be it.  I simply ask that he open my eyes, my mind and my heart to what he has in store for me.  If that's to claim my reward, let's get rolling.  If it's to stay here and be the hands and feet of Jesus for another day, I will trust him.

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: