Monday, October 24, 2011

All My Blogging Friends Have Settled Down

I had to borrow a Hank Williams Jr. song for that title.  It's weird when the blogs I read are people I don't know well.  I ran across this blog from Dan Bouchelle and stole an excerpt that hit home with me.

In my heritage, we have been so cautious to speak about God’s direction in our lives that some, hungry for a more active God, have over-reacted with a God who constantly tells us what to do. Oddly enough, God’s voice ends up sounding a lot like our own inner desires much of the time. I am not seeking to encourage a more human centered life. To the contrary, I am seeking to develop people who submit fully to God’s will and take full responsibility for their role in God’s economy. If God told us everything to do like a micro-managing parent, we would not grow up any more than an over-indulged child with a hovering parent.   - Dan Bouchelle's Blog

I believe I hear God speak to me in various ways (not necessarily the booming voice coming from the mountain top) but it's only in issues that I believe serve his desires and purposes.  I know some people who thank God because the Rangers won or they found the up-close parking spot and I really find it hard to believe God cares much about those things.  On the other hand, when people pray in earnest for God to move in people's hearts on an upcoming special contribution, I can't help but believe God spoke to some folks, some how, some way. 

I think God wants me to hear his voice and he wants me to hear him talk about things that make a difference in his kingdom, not my little world.  When the two intersect, I want to give the glory to God and know I am walking his path. 

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: