Thursday, January 15, 2009

Brrrrr

It's really cold in Decatur, Texas today. It's in the 20's and the wind makes it feel a lot colder.

GMA had a brief clip of guys ice fishing. That's a crazy sport.

Today's Bible verse (January 15) on my blog Bible verse thingy is so true.

I was having a conversation the other day about people displaced from the hurricanes along the Gulf Coast region and some of the things they did. I heard one story about a grocery store having to close down because so many of the refugees (I'm not sure of what the right word should be) were trying to steal groceries from them. One of the people I was talking with had a list of suggestions on how to punish them. Another one suggested what they would do differently if they were in that position and it was at that point that I started wondering what I was thinking. Just a few years ago, I would have agreed with some punishment and had a lot of ideas about what was wrong with them but yesterday all I could think is "we don't have the slightest idea what is going on with those people and why they are doing what they are doing." Those of us talking grew up in nice homes and live in them today. Most of us had both parents at home with stable jobs and went to church fairly regulary at the least. All of us have pretty stable jobs now, nice homes and all the trappings. Our kids don't really suffer for much and we sit in million dollar church buildings wondering what is going on in the world.

Do I understand why the guy who has been living on welfare for 15 years is in the grocery store stealing? No and I certainly don't understand his life. Sure, it's easy to project my thought process on him when I've grown up surrounded by people who cared about me. I wonder if he did? Do I understand the 17 year old mother of two who is stealing food for her and her kids? No and I certainly don't understand her life. I was married and "mature" when my kids were born and I still can't figure out what I'm doing. It's easy to project my thought process on her when my kids have grown up surrounded by an extended family who loves them and cares about them and a church family they see every week.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying someone should get away with stealing but where was I before they got to that position in their life? Where were the people who cared about preventing it as much as punishing it?

I don't have the answers, I'm just wrestling out loud with the questions in my head. I do know that evil exists in our world, that Satan is alive and battling each one of us every day for our hearts and minds and some people are going to give in to Satan but there's some out there that will give in to God if they just see Him. And how will they see Him if I'm His servant who isn't serving those who are looking?

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

You and I are traveling similar paths in the evolution of our thinking right now. Some would say we are getting "soft", or even condoning bad behavior. That is not the case at all. I hope it is that we are seeing things through the eyes of Jesus more than we once did.