Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Essence of Life...Food and Sports

I had lunch at Sweetie Pie's Ribeyes yesterday. Eating at a place named Sweetie Pie's doesn't elicit a good picture in my mind but once I saw Sweetie Pie mounted to the wall, I figured it would be tasty. Chicken-fried steak and home cut potatoes with a salad topped with hot-bacon dressing and unsweet tea.

The renovations are great and the place looks really neat. There are a bunch of tables and they are all close together similar to Babe's in Roanoke. It was a soft opening so I didn't expect great service and didn't receive it. The salad with hot-bacon dressing was awesome. I've got a new favorite dressing now. They were out of sweet tea for those who had ordered it but when they came to fill up our glasses, we all got sweet tea even if we ordered unsweet. The meal took about 35 minutes from when we ordered to get to the table. The chicken-fried steak was a bit tougher than I would like but the potatoes were great. A friend had the ribeye and said it was good.

All in all, it was pretty good food and everyone at the table gave it a thumbs up. The kitchen and wait staff need a bit more polishing but I'm confident that will happen and this will be a good place to eat.
___________________________________________________________________

I went to the Decatur HS baseball game last night after church. It's the regional semifinals and this was the first game in a best 2 out of 3 series with Snyder. Snyder had a good pitcher and two of their guys hit dingers with the wind blowing in. In the bottom of the 7th with Decatur down 2-0, one of the Staley boys made it to second after a throwing error by the Snyder pitcher and a sophmore came up to bat hitting a home run to tie the game. Two more hits and a walk later, the Decatur pitcher who had surrendered the two homers to Snyder was up to bat and hit a screaming grounder up the middle of the field into center scoring the winning run. What a great finish. Now I wish I had a quick way to get to Snyder for the next game on Saturday.
____________________________________________________________________

Poor Mavs. I have several suggestions that they could have used last night. I'll wait for Avery's call!

No comments: