Thursday, December 08, 2011

Lessons From The Road

Last Wednesday, I took off with a good friend on a little road trip to Las Vegas.  It's a work trip and I was driving one of our dealership's Freightliners and pulling a really nice Cimmaron living quarters trailer.  I knew it was a bad sign when we had to stop before getting out of Wise County because someone forgot to put something on the trailer.  It's so easy to turn a 10 hour drive into a 14 hour drive.

Driving across parts of New Mexico and Arizona, it's easy to see the poverty that exists around us.  Houses that look like no more than plywood on dirt covered lots.  Travel trailers that would come apart if you hooked it up to a truck are homes for families.

As I consider buying a house, I'm caught between what "seems" normal in my world and what is necessary when I consider God's creation.  Oh for a few more square feet when people are living in houses that may fall apart.  I can't help but wonder if my rationalization for more house (I'll use it for small groups/youth groups/yada-yada) isn't just that - rationalization.  At the same time I realize money and more of this or that won't change everyone's life and those people may prefer to do whatever it is they do to make that their home.  Still, my heart won't quit hurting knowing there are people out there that life, circumstances, bad decisions and the hurt of other people have pushed them down to a point of suffering that I can't comprehend. 

I look forward to the day we are all dancing with God in his palace.

Grace and peace to you.

P.S.  Dancing is metaphorical.  I'm not sure everyone will have rythym in heaven and I'd still rather be fishing than dancing.

No comments: