Tuesday, March 08, 2011

More Love Stuff

On Sunday morning, I had the opportunity to speak to the congregation as we prepared for communion.  One of the things I love about our fellowship is that we remember Christ's death, burial and resurrection through a time of communion every Sunday.  I shared that it's the one time of the week that I find myself most in awe of God.  I often think of God's conversation with Job in the last 3 chapters in the book of Job that starts like this:
1 Then the LORD spoke to Job out of the storm. He said:
 2 “Who is this that obscures my plans
   with words without knowledge?
3 Brace yourself like a man;
   I will question you,
   and you shall answer me.
 4 “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
   Tell me, if you understand.
5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
   Who stretched a measuring line across it?
6 On what were its footings set,
   or who laid its cornerstone—
7 while the morning stars sang together
   and all the angels[a] shouted for joy?
 8 “Who shut up the sea behind doors
   when it burst forth from the womb,
9 when I made the clouds its garment
   and wrapped it in thick darkness,
10 when I fixed limits for it
   and set its doors and bars in place,
11 when I said, ‘This far you may come and no farther;
   here is where your proud waves halt’?

God goes on to further explain all he has created on earth and in heaven reminding Job that no one else is God, no one else can do what God can do, no one can fully comprehend the majesty and power of God.

Then I shared how this incredible God is also the God who knows me and who loves me.  In our group, we often reference how God loves us and I think we sometimes forget that means that God loves me.  He knows me intimately and he loves me.  He loves me enough that he gave his son for me so that I might live justified and spend eternity with him.  He loves me that much.  It's humbling and it's awe-inspiring for me.  I hope I share in that awe with others.

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: