Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Jesus Wept

43When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, "Lazarus, come out!" 44The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face.
      Jesus said to them, "Take off the grave clothes and let him go."


Yesterday, a very dear friend reminded me of this story in Luke 11.  He told me how many of us go through a death of some sort while we are still alive; we lose something, a child, a spouse, something truly important and the loss is like a death.  As Jesus pulls us back into life from that death, as we begin to walk a little straighter, as our minds begin to untangle what happened and begins to focus on today, Jesus tells us to take the grave clothes off because we have come back from the dead.

I'm not doing an adequate job explaining it the way my friend did but it was a poignant moment in my day when we talked because it hit me again, in just the right way, that Jesus is waiting for me and is preparing my way so that I can remove the grave clothes and enter into a new life, a different life for sure but life.  I don't forget the death or what was lost but I learn to life in a new way and I know Jesus is there. 

As I reread the story, I remembered it included the shortest verse in the Bible, "Jesus wept."  Right then, when I read those words, I knew they were for me.  I know Jesus has cried for me.  I know Jesus has hurt for me and has shed tears for me, and I know he's waiting on the other side of this walk, ready for me to take the grave clothes off and to begin to live again. 

For me, it was a beautiful story delivered at just the right time.  Even more, it was a beautiful story reminding me of who is right in front of me, waiting, arms open, ready to lead me into new paths and new life.  I haven't stepped out far enough to meet Him yet but I know He is there.  Praise God.

Grace and peace to you.

2 comments:

S P Hughes said...

What a great post!!! I would add that many people, including me, will be blessed by your new life and the support and love you will offer because of the path you have traveled. Your comments have touched me and I see a man that will shed his burial clothes and live a great new life.

Unknown said...

This is a wonderful post. YOur new life on this earth you are now entering is but a stepping stone to your eternal new life when we shall see Jesus as He really is... no longer by faith but by sight.