Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Middle of the Week

I remember when I used to look forward to Wednesday because the week was half-over. A friend commented the other day that he had hit the "hump day" of life meaning he reached the age he felt like it was half-over. It made me start thinking about what I will do with the latter half.
__________________________________________________________

I've heard a lot of Michael Jackson music lately. It keeps taking me back to images of high school. I remember taking Keith Dixon home from basketball practice. Keith (a black guy) always thought it was funny I (a white guy) was jamming to Michael Jackson with my stereo on steroids in my truck.

I talked to my Mom on the phone the other day and she told me Keith has died recently.
__________________________________________________________

I'm really not on some morbid, end-of-life kick today. Just a couple of things that popped into my mind.
__________________________________________________________

Joe Gibbs was just on ESPN and I only heard snippets but he was talking about some Bible scholar he's talking to who is giving him ideas of what heaven will be like. I don't know (although Rick did a great job with some sermons on it recently) what it will be like exactly but know this - there won't be pain but absolute joy. There won't be hatred or bitterness or anger - just absolute, unconditional love. There won't be cares and issues with Osama or Obama or Democrats or Republicans, no Baptists or Church of Christ'ers, no yankees or rednecks - there will be God, a majestic and perfect ruler, celebrating with His children who have come home - their only label being "saved by Christ."

I look forward to that day and hope it comes sooner rather than later.

Grace and peace to you.

1 comment:

Rick Ross said...

I think much of the reason that Scripture is vague about heaven is that we have nothing in our understanding to be able to measure it by. How could I explain the Grand Canyon to an amoeba?

I, too, am ready and eager to go home.