Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Shhhhh

Do you ever hear God talking to you? I use the word "hear" loosely because I'm not sure anyone can actually hear God (but I'm not sure they can't either) but there are times when I can't help but believe He is talking to me. The scriptures that have popped up on my blog site for the past week or two have all spoken to my heart. They have been things I have needed to read/hear at that moment, things that have helped me understand or through a struggle.

A friend told me about something called centered-prayer. I read a little bit about it, probably not enough to understand, but the essence of what I got from what I read was to be quiet, to simply listen for God. That's not easy. Try it sometime. Try sitting still for 5 minutes without thought entering your mind. Goodness, try it for 1 minute. Anyway, I have been trying to do just that and don't do very well, but the effort to simply be quiet, turn off the TV, radio, Internet and try to avoid thoughts; to be perfectly still and quiet...to wait to hear God...it's a peaceful and cleansing moment in time.

I hope to hear God but I can't do it with my mouth running, with my thoughts ruling my head, with my agenda before His. I have to get very close to God to hear Him. I have to rid myself of me and open my heart, my soul, my mind and my strength to only Him. What a beautiful challenge, what a glorious hope.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It's not the external quiet that is the challenge, but keeping my thoughts out-- that's tough.

Rick Ross said...

But how rewarding those moments are!