Thursday, November 13, 2008

Wisdom in Strange Places

I just finished reading Same Kind of Different As Me. It's worth the time to read it and may open your eyes to what God can do in your life. The story is about a well-to-do couple getting involved in a homeless mission in Ft. Worth and their relationship with one of the people they meet (I'm withholding much of the detail in case you read it). The homeless man exhibits plenty of wisdom from God and one passage won't leave my mind because it is something I'm learning to live out. Denver, the homeless man, states, "Our limitations is God's opportunity. When you get all the way to the end of your rope and there ain't nothin you can do, that's when God takes over."

The greatest peace I have ever experienced is when I finally realized that I am not in control. It's not the way I think but I'm learning that I can't fix everything; shoot, I can't fix much of anything really - but God can. Maybe if I let Him start leading me, maybe if I keep my mouth shut and let Him speak, maybe if I humble myself and let Him work, things will go better for me.

It's crazy in a way to think that while I wait on something, when I am still, I can have more peace than I have ever known, that I can accept whatever comes because I know God is at work. As crazy as that may be, it's even crazier to think that God would send His only son to die for my sin. It makes no sense. I put Christ on the cross. He had to suffer for me but God still loves me, still forgives me, still opens His arms wide and then embraces me when I come to Him.

I hope I will become quicker to realize my limitations and see where God is finding opportunity. I hope I will relish the peace that comes by letting God work in my life instead of me messing it up.

God is so good.

No comments: