Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day in the U.S.A.

I've tried and tried and keep writing essays, not paragraphs so I'm going to try one more time to boil my thoughts on today down to a manageable length. Today is a day many look forward to and many dread. We will elect a President today that one group or the other thinks will lead us to the brink of the abyss if not take us over the edge. I just don't believe it. Will either candidate do the things I think they should all the time? NO. Will either candidate make decisions that will harm me all the time? NO. In my lifetime, we've survived Nixon, Carter, Clinton and the Bushes and we will survive either Obama or McCain. In fact, I've too often only seen the greatness of this nation when in a crisis. When times are good, I see excess. When times are tough, I see people being friendlier, working together. I have already voted for the candidate I believe will most closely act in favor of my interests but should the other candidate win, I will wake up tomorrow and head to work and go to church just like I do most Wednesdays. Tomorrow will begin a new series of illuminating days where we learn more about the agenda of the winner. Either way, there will be some scary ideas and actions but the greatness of the American people will survive, maybe even thrive as we endure the challenges of life in this country and the world.
_____________________________________________________________________________

In the end, we aren't called to serve either candidate as authority over us for our greatest purpose. We are called to serve God, to be Christ-like to those around us. Our words and actions should reflect Christ and the more each of us can strive to that goal, the world will be as good as we make it.
_____________________________________________________________________________

Tech's #2 and Texas is #4. There's still a decent shot the Horns can move back into contention for the national title. Surely they can whip up on Baylor this weekend and then it's the A&M game.
_____________________________________________________________________________

I tried to watch the Mavericks last night. It reminded me that I just don't care for pro basketball. Catching the highlights on ESPN is good enough for me.
_____________________________________________________________________________

Wasn't it just January a couple of weeks ago? How did it get to be November so quickly?

1 comment:

Melissa Taylor said...

It's funny because the kids in my classes act like their world will just fall apart if their favorite candidate doesn't win today. What's even funnier about it is that they are just "puppets" of what their parents say at home. You are right - life will go on as normal tomorrow no matter what. I just wish people would be as passionate about Christ or the church as they are about who will be president. What a "change" that could make in our country!