Thursday, November 24, 2011

Surrender

Today I am thankful for surrender. 

Sunday, I spoke for our communion focus at church and shared the idea of surrender as seen through my eyes. 

It's not a word most people use often or like very much.  The idea of turning power, control and authority over to another isn't something that naturally appeals to most people, certainly not me.  Most of my life has been in battle, my will versus God's desire for me, my control of my life or his control of my life.  I fought valiantly and always thought I could win the battle, retain control, have the power...but I lost.  I finally gave in, I finally waved the white flag, I finally submitted to a force that was greater than me. 

In Matthew's account of Jesus' death, I find these words in chapter 27, verses 50-52:
50 And when Jesus had cried out again in a loud voice, he gave up his spirit.
 51 At that moment the curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, the rocks split 52 and the tombs broke open. The bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. [emphasis mine]

I remember when I gave up my spirit.  I felt the foundation underneath me shake and I knew something greater than me was in control and I have felt it time and again after going back into battle for my will.  Oh, I surrender much faster now because I know the battle won't be won and the power of God is greater and stronger and more steadfast than anything I would muster...or hope to.

My victory has been found in my surrender.  My triumph is evident when I lay my battle down and submit to the Lord, the creator and the savior.  I became a victor when I surrendered to the power of the sacrifice on the cross and the resurrection from the dead by Jesus Christ. 

Today, I am thankful for surrender.  Thankful that Jesus gave up his spirit, thankful that I made the decision to give up mine too.

Grace and peace to you.

No comments: